- Post-pandemic, one in four (25%) believe their dental health has declined, exacerbated by lockdowns and missed appointments.
- Bupa’s enhanced dental cover will offer faster access to oral cancer treatment for new customers. It also includes unlimited oral cancer treatment, an industry first.
- Changes support Bupa’s ‘Better for Business’ commitment to being the most trusted healthcare provider.
Bupa UK is enhancing its dental insurance products to help businesses provide their people with improved access to affordable dental care.
Available to new and renewing customers from 1 September 2022, the benefits include access to oral cancer care from the start of the policy with no wait period*, cover for hospital dental treatment**, and unlimited oral cancer treatment when using a fee-assured consultant in a partnership facility. Bupa UK is the only insurer to currently offer this.
The changes are in response to customer feedback and increasing demand. According to the Bupa Wellbeing Index, a quarterly report conducted amongst 8,000 UK adults, one in four (25%) adults believe their dental health declined during the COVID-19 pandemic, exacerbated by lockdowns and missed appointments. As a result, almost one in five (18%) adults say dental health is their biggest wellbeing worry.
Richard Norris, Director of Specialist Products at Bupa UK Insurance says: “Oral health is an essential part of everyone’s wellbeing. Given what we know about the link between gum disease and the increased risk of many life-limiting and life-threatening health problems, the enhancements we’re making to our dental insurance products will help employees stay on top of their oral health and crucially, prevent bigger problems from emerging further down the line.”
Oral cancer is a growing public health problem with dentists warning that thousands of cases may have gone undetected during the pandemic, which could have a major impact on current and future workforces. With early detection and treatment key to improving outcomes, Bupa has removed the wait period for new customers. What’s more, Bupa’s Cancer Promise means treatment for oral cancer is unlimited, so there are no limits on how long treatment lasts or how much it costs – it is the only leading insurer to offer this**.
Richard adds: “The pandemic has brought about unprecedented challenges for businesses and new expectations from employees. Dental insurance is a much-needed benefit that employees will value. Last year at Bupa UK we saw record growth in our dental insurance customer numbers as businesses look to strengthen their health and wellbeing initiatives, which should help retain and attract the best people. Our ambition is to demonstrate that workplace health and wellbeing with Bupa is better for their people and better for business too.”
Bupa dental insurance product enhancements include:
- Covering all clinically necessary restorative dental treatment up to benefit limits.
- Covering hospital dental treatment up to benefit limits.
- Removing wait period for oral cancer cover on business products so customers can access treatment as soon as they need it.
- Separate fillings and root canal benefit on Dental Plan so employees can now claim more cash-back towards a filling and a root canal.
- New top level of cover for Dental Choice with 32 increases to benefit limits. This further improves value for customers as it enables them to claim even more cash-back towards their treatment.
- Simplified membership guides making it easier for customers to understand their policy.
Bupa dental insurance customers can also continue to benefit from digital services to support their oral health and help prevent future problems. This includes access to Instant Dentist which provides digital dental screenings and personalised reports from the comfort of home.